Sign in if you already have an account.
  
donate.gif

National Spotlight

Financial Resources —Did you know that there are many financial resources that can help people living with breast cancer? Find out more

Voices of Impact™ — Join us here as we continue to share stories that celebrate the women and men who inspire us all.

Funding Priorities

Susan G. Komen runs one of the most innovative, responsive grant programs in breast cancer today. Since its inception in 1982, Komen has invested more than $2.2 billion in breast cancer research, community screening, treatment and advocacy programs, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.

Pie Chart with images of researchers/scientists Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Southern Nevada Affiliate provide grants for innovative community programs that reduce breast cancer mortality through screening, treatment, education and safety-net services, while the remaining 25 percent supports groundbreaking breast cancer research grants. Learn more about available research grants.

The Southern Nevada Affiliate of Komen is a grant-making organization that funds non-duplicative, community-based grants that translate the findings from research into breast health education and seek to enhance the availability of breast cancer screening and treatment for the uninsured and medically underserved in Southern Nevada. In 2013, the Affiliate funded $750,000 to local community programs.

Any not-for-profit organization that provides breast health and/or breast cancer services, and is located in or providing services within Clark, Nye, Lincoln, Esmeralda, White Pine, and Mineral counties, may apply for a grant from the Southern Nevada Affiliate.

The Affiliate does not provide funds directly to individuals for screening or treatment. We do not determine individual eligibility, make referrals or influence the screening or treatment decisions of the organizations that we fund.

Brief Summary of Priorities 

The Southern Nevada Affiliate conducts a biennial community needs assessment that helps guide our work and establishes goals for granting priorities, education needs, public policy efforts, and strategic operations. This community profile identifies service gaps, barriers, and community needs and ensures that our local investments will be effective and impactful.

Drawing upon the Community Profile Report, other local and national studies, and sixteen years of experience, Komen Southern Nevada will give funding priority to programs that provide the following:

  1. Increase knowledge of the importance of early detection for breast cancer. Target North Las Vegas, northeast Las Vegas and west Las Vegas using evidence-based and culturally competent educational strategies. Educate rural communities including Nye, Lincoln, Esmeralda, White Pine, and Mineral counties. Also include Searchlight, Boulder City, and Laughlin, Nevada in these education and awareness campaigns. Expand education efforts to include young women under the age 40 and older women over the age 65, and breast health providers.  
  2. Increase access to and availability of breast cancer screening services. Fund screening for those that do not qualify for the Women’s Health Connection Program. Specifically women under age 50 and women who earn between 250 percent and 350 percent Federal Poverty Level. Ensure screening services are available to women living in rural communities. 
  3. Make available a variety of support services for breast cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones. Assist with the financial needs of breast cancer patients and survivors during surgery and treatment. Fund services that meet the emotional and psychosocial needs of breast cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones. Support services that meet the physical needs of breast cancer patients and survivors. Encourage evidence-based breast health navigator programs to assist uninsured, underinsured and underserved breast cancer patients with access to local and national resources.

     

    Applications will be accepted for all breast health and breast cancer projects in Southern Nevada. However, projects that specifically address these three funding priorities with innovative and evidence-based strategies will be given priority.

    Community Profile

    The Community Profile is a needs assessment document that provides an overview of Komen’s grant-making priorities and the breast health needs in our service area. Please familiarize yourself with this document before developing your applications.